Tuesday 29 May 2012

Rather them, then me!

The week before I started this blog we travelled into a wet and rainy Durham to watch the ‘Tour of England’ bike race.  We have gone now for the last 3 years and this is the first time the weather has been so Yuk.

We decided to go for a bite to eat before we watched the race and I had been so good all week to have the treat of a pizza for dinner.  I don’t often indulge in Pizza as too many calories and my IBS stomach gives me a kicking for eating it but I though what the heck!  There are quite a few Italians in Durham and we tried a new one.  I ordered the goats cheese, caramelized onion and spinach pizza.  I was gutted as it was tasteless and far to doughy tasting for me.  I couldn’t eat it all and felt guilty after! Needless to say we will not be going there again.

The rain was kind to us and stopped before the race started and I was so pleased.  The course is very hilly and partly over cobbles.  This is exciting and often leads to crashes.  Not so exciting for the riders but fun for us.  However in the rain we knew they would be more careful so less crashes, not so fun for us! The course was dry by the time they started and we found a great spot in the middle of the hill.  There were a lot more spectators this year which made for a lovely atmosphere.  





The cyclists this year where a lot younger then last couple of years and it was great to see them coming through.   The hill is mega and I have no idea how they kept getting up it.  I don’t think I would manage one lap let alone the amount they did.  I found it really inspiring and motivating.  I will be an athlete like that but it is amazing what we can get our bodies to do.



All in all a really nice evening and fantastic to see so many spectators out. 

Is there any races you like to see?

No comments:

Post a Comment